Tuesday, March 13, 2007

tofu dumplings

We had a potluck dinner last week to plan a summer outing with close family friends. I made these flat tofu dumplings. I actually suprised myself that it turned out really good. I love them. Not too big and bulky for the bite and made from tofu. I like eating dumplings. When we are out in the restaurants, I cannot find a single outlet or store that sells tofu or vegetarain dumplings or siomai. It is always pork or beef and the servings are very small. There is the occasional crab or shrimp. The sharksfin siomai are still pork. I think they are called that because they are shaped like a sharksfin. Due to my frustration at finding a good vegetarian dumpling I decided to learn to make my own.

Actually this is not my first attempt to make dumplings. I usually make chicken and tofu siomai. But since we have a vegetarian friend at the potluck dinner, we want him to taste a sample of the local siomai. There were several friends who encouraged me to sell these
. It is really easy to make.
Chop the tofu, carrots, onions and some parsley. Then add one beaten egg to the mixture. Shape into flat dumplings or siomai balls. Stream for about 10 minutes. Try not to over stream because the siomai wrappers dry out in some parts and disintegrate underneath. If they are just right they look like the top photo. My sister Jinky is the one who inspired me to make my own siomai. I think I should bring some to her so she can sample my vegetarian flat tofu dumplings.

I think you can make this at camp. You can pre-chop the carrots, parsley and tofu. Just add the egg when you are ready to cook. The tricky part is how to steam it. But if you can buy a small foldable steamer (I have one in Laguna) this can easily be done.

Serve this with lots of kalamansi, soy sauce and chili garlic sauce.