Friday, March 16, 2007

Pako salad

Pako or river fern salad with tomatoes and salted eggs. The photo above is taken just before I mixed the whole salad up to evenly distribute the texture and taste of the salad. The grown pako is known to be part of flower arrangements. But this kind of pako have edible softer leaves and stalks. I just used the soft top parts and discarded the rest of the stalks. Then I cut up some tomatoes and a salted egg. Then there you have it. Quick fresh and light salad. If you find it a bit salty just add some more tomatoes. One bundle of pako is only P10, the salted egg about P9.50 at Eunilane plus the tomato. This whole salad for less than P30.


We were at the Lung Center weekend market last Sunday and we found pako for our salad that day. At around 8:30 am we took a tryke to Heart Center and then walked from NKI parking towards Lung Center. We realized there are already a lot of people who are done with their marketing. I heard about the weekend market from several friends who were able to buy nice large serving plates, unique rare fruits fresh from the province. They say there are some organic vegetables but one friend warned us that they are not organic.

Anyway, we had a good one hour to roam around and check all the wares. There are lots of food. I was really excited to find "pancit habhab" I bought 2 orders for P10 each. I will make a future post on that one. I also forgot the camera that is why I wasn't able to post some pictures of the great buys.