Thursday, August 16, 2007

Sinugbang Isdang Bato/ Grilled Reef Fish

I think this is a Batfish. But I saw it labeled as butterfly at Miravilla. Also, when I asked one of the locals I am with he mentioned that same thing. But I am sure that this is not a butterfly fish. I do not really like to eat this kind of fish because I saw what they eat while I was in Palawan. We were on the research vessel Minerva and we saw a few of these waiting at the bottom of the boat waiting for the "flush" from the boat hahahaha.

These are parrot fishes. Scaridae. These are considered as one of the indicator fish species that we regularly monitor. Parrot fishes have this distinct beak like mouth that helps them graze on the coral reef. They actually eat corals and they expel sand in the process. They are locally known as "isdang bato" as they are resident reef fishes.

These squids are according to Moli are locally called 'tam-isan' in Lobo, Batangas. These are usually caught in shallow areas near the reef area. There was a time while I was snorkeling in GBR I saw a school of squids. They are such a beauty to watch changing colors and as if dancing in formations. There was also a time that I saw a solitary cuttle fish while diving in Anilao. I saw it change form and color from brown to purple and red. At that time, I stayed away from eating squid dahil parang naawa ako sa kanila. But, since I do not eat red meat anymore, I cannot seem to give up seafood.

Below is dinner being cooked. "Sinugba" or grilled.

I remember my advance scuba instructor and boss at wwf said while we were in Taganak in Turtle Islands: "we should appreciate what we are conserving".