Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Pansit Palabok / Pansit Luglog

Last week was the birthday of my niece Kayla and we enjoyed this palabok. This bilao of Pansit Palabok / Pansit Luglog is from Red Ribbon. It taste better than most pansit palabok that use the thinner noodles. Jollibee serves something similar using the small thin version of the noodles but this one is alot better.

Before I used to wonder why people call it palabok while others call it pansit luglog. One person said that the real palabok are the ones made from the thicker version of the rice noodles. The ones made in Malabon usually uses the thicker noodles. Personally I prefer the thick ones. There is a store named "Pansit ng Taga Malabon" or "Ang Tunay na pansit Malabon" (the real noodles from Malabon- a place north of Manila)

Then the pansit luglog are the ones that use the thinner version of the rice noodles. I think it is similar to the one used in pansit "bihon". One analogy I can think of is that the thicker rice noodles are "soba" while the thinner ones or bihon are like "ramen". I just dont know what you call the the local thick rice noodles.

I love pansit palabok the thick noodles. I've never attempted to cook this one before. Although I've asked Aling Nimfa how to make it and even watched her prepare and cook it in Laguna several times before.

First the noodles have to be soaked in water. Then it is cooked or half cooked similar to al dente in pasta. This is cooked separately from the toppings. Set aside. This is what I remember when I watched Aling Nimfa cook. For the sauce, the shrimp heads are pounded to let their juice out. The red orange comes from the achuete and several beaten eggs. Grounded pork is stir fried then added into the egg mixture. Then on another pan the tinapa are tossed in a pan. The shrimp and squid are shelled and cut into pieces for toppings, while some of the shrimps are added into the orange sauce. Eggs are boiled separately then shelled and added as one of the toppings. I don't know if you can still follow this but she just assembled all these on a shallow tray or a bilao lined with banana leaves.

This is best enjoyed with kalamansi and patis on the side. And Oh I forgot sprinkle with chicharon and spring onions on top.