Monday, October 15, 2007

Lansones

The photo includes bananas and rambutans (the red hairy ones) and Lansones the yellow ones. It is Lansones season every October.

As far back as I can remember when I was a child about 6 or 7 at that time. During this time of the year at least half a dozen of 50 kilo kaing
(local woven basket)will arrive at the old house in Alaminos. I remember the huge kaing packed up to double its height with banana leaves and I think slim abaca rope. We would open these up and let the fruits breath. They turn brown pretty fast specially after a long trip from Malanday where they were gathered.

I would help my late lola and tita put into a huge bilao the one that will remain in the house. I would eat my fill until I am bloated. We never bought lansones we actually sell them. Buying lansones for me at that time was unthinkable because we have our own trees. Thanks to my great great grandparents for planting the trees.

Lola would give to all the relatives in town. Then the other kaings will be sent to her sons and daughters in Manila. I miss them specially this time of the year. Whenever I see lansones being sold in the market, these early happy memories come back

The other day my sister called and said that we have this box from Laguna. I was excited and gathered the family and went to my sisters house to get our share. We received a huge bag that we can't even finish. The next day share the lot with people at the office.

Indeed the lansones are still as sweet. Always a reminder of the goodness of my grandparents.