Sunday, August 19, 2007

hot chocolate

One of the things that inspired me to climb mountains and mountaineering is not really the sport itself. Basically what attracted me most to this is the way of life that I experienced climbing with friends.

Circa 1994, my first climb was Mt. Banahaw. It was an exhausting 10 hour climb up Durungawan which was supposed to be a two day climb. Without proper physical preparation I was exhausted beyond words. Even amazed that I can still walk after carrying more than 10 kilos on my back. But I was able to reach the summit not by my own strength but also by the patience of my friends who were with me at that time. Determined to show me a vista that cannot be reached by any mode of land transport these friends made me appreciate the journey with each step.

Imagine clouds covering your campsite in the early morning. Everyone still inside their tents in the small hours, resting their dead tired bodies. Sunrise is always an anticipated event and I always am aware that it is almost morning. Then there is a sort of "knock" on our tent. Opening the tent's zipper a friend hands in a cup of hot chocolate!

At that time, I realized that I found a renewed sense of respect for these friends with their way of life. They are not at all the preconceived notion of "macho" type mountaineers. Indeed I got to know that true mountaineers go out of their way to take care of their climbing buddies.

Despite the early morning cold, someone starts the stove and cooks hot chocolate for everyone to enjoy just before sunrise! One simple gesture that sealed my decision to climb more mountains and enjoying the great outdoors with great company!